Groundwater Management Areas were created "in order to provide for the conservation, preservation, protection, recharging, and prevention of waste of the groundwater, and of groundwater reservoirs or their subdivisions, and to control subsidence caused by withdrawal of water from those groundwater reservoirs or their subdivisions."
High Plains Water District has counties in both GMA 1 and GMA 2.
Groundwater conservation districts within GMA # 1
- Hemphill County Underground Water Conservation District
- North Plains Groundwater Conservation District
- Panhandle Groundwater Conservation District
- A small portion of the High Plains Water District's service area in Armstrong, Potter, and Randall Counties is within GMA # 1.
Hemphill County UWCD -- Manager Janet Guthrie & Board Chairman Jim Haley.
High Plains UWCD -- Manager Jason Coleman & Board President Lynn Tate. (Mike Beauchamp, Alternate)
North Plains GCD -- Manager Steve Walthour & Board President Bob Zimmer.
Panhandle GCD -- Manager C. E. Williams & Board President Danny Hardcastle.
Groundwater conservation districts within GMA # 2
- Garza County Underground and Fresh Water Conservation District
- High Plains Water District
- Llano Estacado Underground Water Conservation District
- Mesa Underground Water Conservation District
- Permian Basin Underground Water Conservation District
- Sandy Land Underground Water Conservation District
- South Plains Underground Water Conservation District
Garza County UWCD -- Manager Ferrel Wheeler.
High Plains UWCD -- Board Member Ronnie Hopper (Brad Heffington, Alternate).
Llano Estacado UWCD -- Manager Lori Barnes.
Mesa UWCD -- Manager Harvey Everheart & Voting Delegate Matt Farmer.
Permian Basin UWCD -- Manager Donna Springer.
Sandy Land UWCD -- Manager Amber Blount & Voting Delegate Ross Hilburn.
South Plains UWCD -- Manager Lindy Harris & Voting Delegate Matt Hogue.