WHO WE ARE
As the first groundwater conservation district created in Texas, the original boundaries of the High Plains Water District were delineated in March 1951 by the State Board of Engineers. After several annexations, the HPWD now serves an area of 11,850 square miles or 7,587,359 acres, which includes all or portions of 16 counties. View the timeline here.
Board of Directors
HPWD is governed by a five-member Board of Directors elected by residents in each of the District Director's Precincts. Each director serves a four-year term where they oversee district operations, programs and activities. Board members approve final water well permit applications.
A county advisory committee from each of the 16 counties is appointed to serve a one-year term by the district’s Board of Directors. They advise the Board by recommending projects and keeping local communities represented.
A professional staff conducts the day-to-day operations of the district. Contact us today!
Download our Media Resources document for an overview of the High Plains Water District.