In this edition of news from HPWD:
- Rule & Management Plan Adoption
- Reminders for Permit Applications
- Education Updates
- Fall Conservation Reminders
- Upcoming events
- Texas water news and drought updates
Rule & Management Plan Adoption
HB 2443, adopted by the 88th Texas Legislature, requires that all groundwater conservation districts adopt rule changes by December 1, 2023, to implement this provision. The caption for this legislation states that it relates "to the authority of certain persons to petition a groundwater conservation district to change certain rules". Following a public hearing, the HPWD Board of Directors adopted rule changes at the November 14 meeting to comply with this statute. The updated rules are available on our website.
The HPWD Board of Directors also adopted an amended management plan at the November 14 meeting. The only changes to the plan concerned Appendix A, which is the modeled available groundwater section.
Reminders for Permit Applications
HPWD offers a self-serve portal for submitting permit applications, which may expedite a request. The portal is available 24 hours a day. Submit your permit application requests here.
HPWD has been presenting to school groups during the past month. If you would like an educational presentation, please contact our office.
Fall Conservation Reminders
The new website has a calendar of events where you may stay informed:
Texas Water News and Drought Updates
- The new “Texas ET” app is now available as a free download from both the Apple Store and Google Play. Its emphasis is to help growers determine crop water requirements in near real-time based on local/regional ETo data. The app is designed to make changing crops and crop growth stages easy, so that updated irrigation recommendations can be produced quickly. The TexasET Network has expanded to include select TexMesoNet Stations, so there is decent state-wide coverage.
- The drought conditions map and the monthly outlook are updated.